Order Neuroptera net-winged insects
Neuroptera means “ net-wing
- 4 membranous wings: all about the same size , usually longer than abdomen.
- Wings have many-branched longitudinal veins connected by many cross veins.
- Wings usually held rooflike over body at rest.
- Generally not stong fliers. Legs well developed
- Antennae very long, many segmented. Great variety in form.
- Chewing mouthparts.
- Predaceous (at least in larval stage)
- Most species are terrestrial, adults found near larval habitat