deer mouse Peromyscus maniculatus
Order Rodentia Rodents
- Animals with 2 upper & 2 lower incisors and no canines
- Of all mammals, has the most number of worldwide species
Family Cricetidae mice & rats (large membranous ears not covered by hair & long tails
- Have large membranous ears not covered in hair.
- Have long tail length of over 3/4s of over 3/4s of the head and body length.
- Have cups on unworn molar teeth.
- No external cheek pouches.
- 7 species of deer mice in the Pacific states
- Primarily nocturnal
- Wide-ranging and common in any terrestrial habitat in North America
- Eat all kinds of seeds, fruits, insects and store large caches of food.
- Are active all winter above the snow.
- Many birds and mammals are predators.
- Many sub-species